Faculty and Staff
You are here
- Functional studies of human brain metabolism under increased or decreased neuronal activity
- Neurovascular coupling and neuro-glia interactions
- Oxidative and non-oxidative brain metabolism; glucose and lactate metabolism
- Novel MR contrasts based on rotating frame relaxation measurements, magnetization transfer and chemical exchange
- Applications of novel MRI/MRS protocols for studies of neurological diseases as Parkinson’s disease, schizophrenia, multiple sclerosis
- Measurements of blood flow with arterial spin labeling methods, and their application to diseases as diabetes
- Proton NMR Spectroscopy at high fields
- Resting state fMRI, especially in relation to brain metabolism
Mangia S, Traaseth N J, Veglia G, Garwood M, Michaeli S. “Probing slow protein dynamics by adiabatic R1ρ and R2ρNMR experiments”, Journal of the American Chemical Society 2010; 132:9979–9981. PMCID: PMC2929914 [Available on 2011/7/1].
Mangia S, Liimatainen T, Garwood M, Michaeli S. “Rotating frame relaxation during adiabatic pulses versus conventional spin-lock: simulations and experimental results at 4T”, Magnetic Resonance Imaging 2009; 27:1074–1087. PMCID: PMC2746880.
Mangia S, Simpson IA, Vannucci SJ, Carruthers A. “The in vivo neuron-to-astrocyte lactate shuttle in human brain: evidence from modeling of measured lactate levels during visual stimulation”, Journal of Neurochemistry 2009; 109 (Suppl. 1):55–62. PMCID: PMC2679179.
Mangia S, Giove F, TkacI, Logothetis NK, Henry P-G, Olman CA, Maraviglia B, Di Salle F, Ugurbil K. “Metabolic and hemodynamic events following changes in neuronal activity: current hypotheses, theoretical predictions and in vivo NMR experimental findings”, Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism 2009; 29:441–463. PMCID: PMC2743443.
Mangia S, Tkac I, Logothetis NK, Gruetter R, Van de Moortele P-F, Ugurbil K. “Dynamics of lactate concentration and BOLD effect in the human vi.sual cortex during repeated identical stimuli”, Journal of Neuroscience Research 2007; 85:3340–3346.
Mangia S, Tkac I, Gruetter R, Van De Moortele P-F, Maraviglia B, Ugurbil K. “Sustained neuronal activation raises oxidative metabolism to a new steady state level: evidence from 1H NMR spectroscopy in the human visual cortex”, Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism 2007; 27:1055–1063.
Mangia, Di Salle F, Garreffa G, Esposito F, Giove F, Cirillo S, Scarabino T, Morrone R, Maraviglia B. “Perfusion-based and BOLD-based fMRI in the study of a human pathological model for task-related flow reductions”, Brain Research Bulletin 2004; 63:1–5.
Mangia S, Garreffa G, Bianciardi M, Giove F, Di Salle F, Maraviglia B. “The aerobic brain: lactate consumption at the onset of neural activity”, Neuroscience 2003; 118:7–10.