Home > Faculty & Staff
Faculty and Staff
Wei Chen, Ph.D.
Dr. Chen is a Professor in the Departments of Radiology and Biomedical Engineering at the University of Minnesota. He received his B.S. degree in physical chemistry at Fudan University in China. In 1985, he joined Professor Ackerman's lab as a graduate student at Washington University in St. Louis and received his Ph.D. in 1990. He spent three years
as a postdoctoral associate in Professor Shulman's lab at Yale University Medical School. In 1994, he moved to the Center for Magnetic Resonance Research (CMRR) at the University of Minnesota. His research interests focus on development of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)/spectroscopy (MRS) methodologies and the utilization of these methodologies for studying metabolism, bioenergetics and function of the brain and other organs noninvasively.
Current ongoing research projects:
- To quantitatively determine the dynamic relationships of metabolic and homodynamic changes in response to neuronal activity in the human brain using functional MRI (fMRI) and functional MRS (fMRS).
- To explore and improve the capability of fMRI for mapping functional organizations and sub-organizations covering the entire brain, consequently, to achieve functional mapping neural networks in the human brain.
- To develop and establish the 17O magnetic resonance spectroscopic (MRS) imaging methodology at ultra-high magnetic fields for imaging regional cerebral oxygen consumption rate (CMRO2) in animals and humans non-invasively.
- To establish and improve the dynamic fMRI approach for probing fast neuronal interactions during brain activation.
- To develop robust and efficient high-field RF coils using the approach based on the microstrip transmission line resonator.
Selected Recent Publications:
Zhu XH, Zhang Y, Tian RX, Lei H, Zhang N, Zhang X, Merkle H, Ugurbil K, Chen W. Development of 17O NMR approach for fast imaging of cerebral metabolic rate of oxygen in rat brain at high field. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2002; 99:13194-13199.
Yang QX, Wang J, Zhang X, Collins CM, Smith MB, Liu H, Zhu XH, Vaughan JT, Ugurbil K, Chen W. Analysis of wave behavior in lossy dielectric samples at high field. Magn Reson Med 2002; 47:982-9.
Zhu XH, Chen W. Observed BOLD effects on cerebral metabolite resonances in human visual cortex during visual stimulation: a functional (1)H MRS study at 4 T. Magn Reson Med 2001; 46:841-847.
Chen W, Zhu XH, Gruetter R, Seaquist ER, Adriany G, Ugurbil K. Study of tricarboxylic acid cycle flux changes in human visual cortex during hemifield visual stimulation using (1)H-[(13)C] MRS and fMRI. Magn Reson Med 2001; 45:349-355.
Zhang X, Ugurbil K, Chen W. Microstrip RF surface coil design for extremely high-field MRI and spectroscopy. Magn Reson Med 2001; 46:443-50.
Ogawa S, Lee TM, Stepnoski R, Chen W, Zhu XH, Ugurbil K. An approach to probe some neural systems interaction by functional MRI at neural time scale down to milliseconds. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2000; 97:11026-31.
Chen W, Zhu XH, Thulborn KR, Ugurbil K. Retinotopic mapping of lateral geniculate nucleus in humans using functional magnetic resonance imaging. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U S A 1999; 96:2430-2434.