Faculty and Staff
You are here
Patrick J. Bolan, Ph.D.
Dr. Bolan is an Associate Professor in Radiology. After receiving his B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Illinois (UIUC) and post-graduate studies at UC Berkeley, Dr. Bolan spent five years working in industry as a software engineer. He joined Dr. Michael Garwood's group at the University of Minnesota in 1999 and received his Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering in 2003 while developing methods for performing quantitative MR spectroscopy of breast cancer. He stayed on at the UMN Center for Magnetic Resonance Research as a postdoctoral associate and later as an Assistant Professor and an Associate Professor. His research focuses on developing methods for MR imaging and spectroscopy of cancer and obesity, and translating research methodologies into clinical practice.
- MR imaging and spectroscopy of human breast cancer
- MR imaging and spectroscopy of the abdomen for obesity applications
- Exploring the use of neural networks in image processing and reconstruction
- Integrating MRI/MRS in clinical trials
- Saunders SL, Leng E, Spilseth B, Wasserman N, Metzger GJ, Bolan PJ. Training Convolutional Networks for Prostate Segmentation With Limited Data. IEEE Access. 2021;9:109214-109223. doi: 10.1109/access.2021.3100585. PMCID: PMC8438764.
- McKay JA., Church AL, Rubin N, Emory TH, Hoven NH, Kuehn-Hajder JE, Nelson MT, Ramanna S, Auerbach EJ, Moeller S, Bolan PJ. A Comparison of Methods for High-Spatial-Resolution Diffusion-Weighted Imaging in Breast MRI. Radiology, August 25, 2020, 200221. PMCID: PMC7643813
- Bolan PJ, Branzoli F, Di Stefano AL, Nichelli L, Valabregue R, Saunders SL, Akçakaya M, Sanson M, Lehéricy S, Marjańska M. Automated Acquisition Planning for Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy in Brain Cancer. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv. 2020 Oct;12267:730-739. doi: 10.1007/978-3-030-59728-3_71. PMCID: PMC8735854.
- McKay JA, Moeller S, Zhang L, Auerbach EJ, Nelson MT, Bolan PJ. Nyquist ghost correction of breast diffusion weighted imaging using referenceless methods. Magn Reson Med. 2019 Apr;81(4):2624-2631. doi: 10.1002/mrm.27563. Epub 2018 Nov 2.PMCID: PMC6372312
- Partridge SC, Zhang Z, Newitt DC, Gibbs JE, Chenevert TL, Rosen MA, Bolan PJ, Marques HS, Romanoff J, Cimino L, Joe BN, Umphrey H, Ojeda-Fournier H, Dogan D, Oh K, Abe H, Drukteinis J, Esserman LJ, Hylton NM. Diffusion-weighted MRI Findings Predict Pathologic Response in Neoadjuvant Treatment of Breast Cancer: The ACRIN 6698 Multicenter Trial. Radiology 2018, 289(3):618-627. PMCID: PMC6283325
- Newitt DC, Zheng Z, Chenevert T, Partridge S, Bolan PJ, Rosen M, Gibbs J, Marques H, Gatsonis G, Hylton NM. Test-Retest Repeatability and Reproducibility of ADC Measures by Breast DWI: Results of the ACRIN 6698 Trial. J Magn Reson Imaging, 2018 49(6):1617-1628. PMCID: PMC6524146
- Bolan PJ, Kim E, Herman BA, Newstead GM, Rosen MA, Schnall MD, Pisano ED, Weatherall PT, Morris EA, Lehman CD, Garwood M, Nelson MT, Yee D, Polin SM, Esserman LJ, Gatsonis CA, Metzger GJ, Newitt DC, Partridge SC, Hylton NM; ACRIN Trial team ISPY-1 Investigators. MR spectroscopy of breast cancer for assessing early treatment response: Results from the ACRIN 6657 MRS trial. J Magn Reson Imaging 2017; 46: 290-302. PMCID: PMC5464996
- Bolan PJ, Arentson L, Sublinvong T, Zhang Y, Moeller S, Downs LS Jr., Ghebre R, Yee D, Froelich J, Hui S. Water-fat imaging for assessing therapy-induced bone marrow damage in gynecologic cancers. J Magn Reson Imaging 2013; 38: 1578-84. PMCID: PMC3690168
- Haddadin I, McIntosh A, Meisamy S, Corum C, Styczynski-Snyder A, Powell N, Nelson M, Yee D, Garwood M, Bolan PJ. Metabolite quantification and high-field MRS in breast cancer. NMR Biomed 2009; 22): 65-76. PMCID: PMC2628417
- Bolan PJ, Meisamy S, Baker EH, Lin J, Emory T, Nelson M, Everson LI, Yee D, Garwood M. In vivo quantification of choline compounds in the breast with 1H MR spectroscopy. Magn Reson Med 2003; 50: 1134-1143. PMID: 14648561
My full bibliography is available on MyNCBI